What should you do if you have a possible loss?
If you think you have a loss – no matter how small – it can be a stressful experience. Your Agent and Louisa Mutual Insurance Association want to make it less stressful for you.
No matter what type of a loss, you must take reasonable steps to protect your property to avoid further damage.
Step 1 – Protect Property From Further Damage
- Possible Roof Damage – tarp the roof to avoid water or other damage to the interior.
- Secure Property by boarding up or insulating after a fire, wind, or a break-in loss.
- When appropriate, you may need to shut off the water
- If at all possible during winter months, maintain heat in the building to avoid frozen pipes or plumbing damages. If impossible to maintain heat, you should consider winterizing.
Step 2 – Repairs
- Only do repairs necessary to prevent further damage, In the situation of electrical, heating or plumbing problems where further damage can occur. If possible take pictures prior to making the temporary repairs.
- Give the Adjuster an opportunity to see the damage.
- In case of lightning damage, do not destroy the item until Adjuster has approved it.
Step 3 – Contact Your Agent
Promptly call your Agent to provide the date, time & cause of loss. Be sure to give your current address, current phone number, and contact person. Providing correct information will be the foundation for a smooth claims process.
Step 4 – Get Estimate
Obtain a detailed estimate from a contractor or service technician that will be doing the final repairs. Send estimates/ repair bills directly to our office at Louisa Mutual Insurance Association PO Box 97 – 336 N. 2nd St Wapello, IA 52653
Step 5 – Damage to Personal Property
Complete a detailed inventory of damaged personal property.
Step 6 – Additional Information
If there is additional information regarding your claim, please contact Louisa Mutual or the Adjuster.
Your Claim is Important to us!!
Once the claim is reported to us it will be setup and assigned an adjuster. We take pride in the prompt handling of your claim from the time the claim is reported. If you are not satisfied with the handling of your claim, please let us know. We will review your claim, for accuracy according to the terms of your policy.